This weather station is a Raspberry PI model Bs with a SHT75 sensors attached. The SHT75 is a high accuracy temperature and humidity sensor. The Raspberry PI and transformer are in the extra-deep outdoor in-use outlet cover. The SHT75 is in a separate box, so that the heat from the transformer and CPU don’t affect the temperature readings. This is connected to my network using an Edimax EW-7811Un, which is an incredibly tiny wifi adapter. An 8GiB SDHC card and some CAT3 cable rounds out the package, which tips the scale at $100.
I have two of these, one inside and one outside, which will allow me to graph the temperature, humidity, and dewpoint inside and out of my apartment. I hope to keep this going for at least a year, so that I can get data from all of the seasons.
Part of this is to see how my thermostat is behaving/performing.
So, I was looking at buying a 99 Subaru Forrester tonight, and was driving home when this happened to my old car:
Instead of driving home, I cut the cat off, put it in the passenger well, and the drove back to the guy I was buying the Forrester from, and sold the Legacy to him for $200 off the Forrester. In related news, driving a car with no cat sounds really awesome! (The guy is a mechanic, so I assume he will part the car out, scrap it, or repair and sell it.)
I was looking at buying the Forrester because the head gasket on the Legacy was blown, not because the exhaust was terrible.
The old modem finally broke, so I had to replace it. The “Actiontec C1000A” that I got from CenturyLink had a selection in the WAN setup for “Transparent Bridging”. With this simple option, my Tomato router was able to connect.
I also disabled the wireless on that modem, so that it just does DSL decoding. It has the ability to do VDSL, which I might upgrade to later.
This is my keyboard at work, the TECK-207 by Truly Ergonomic. At the moment I don’t pair program, so there is no one else even in the room that I am in.
The layout on this version is slightly different than the old version that I had before, but the change isn’t that big a deal. The labels used by Truly Ergonomic on the keys is a fairly thick layer of plastic that goes on top of the keys, which was slightly bothering me, so I got the blank version of the keyboard, since I know where the keys are.
Unfortunately, they no longer have any models with the Cherry Blue switches, and only offer the Cherry Brown switches.
Yeah, I guess I am a keyboard snob when I am complaining about the model of switches used, and what kind of printing is used on the keycaps.
This is a fire just west of Boulder, Colorado, which started on 2012-06-26. The buildings on the hill near the fire is NCAR, and CU is visible at the bottom. Two burning trees are visible on the ridge.
So, I went on a drive to Mesa Verde, and back with a couple of friends of mine. That was last week, and now it seems like everywhere we went is now burning. That is purely a coincidence, of course. In other, perfectly unrelated news, the exhaust on my car needs a bunch of work.
I have been on this route before, so I didn’t feel the need to take quite as many pictures.
My new clock. I had to solder the whole thing together, nothing was assembled when I got it. The display is 4 nixie tubes. The pins in front of the display are exposed, and carry 200 volts. Thus I am looking for a suitable cover, probably something like a dessert display cover.
I was at World Market to get some new tea, and saw this awesome set of flatware. Yeah, I already had some that still were good, but these are just awesome, even if they are $4 a piece. The handle is stainless (18/10) under the carbon coating, so I expect that coating to wear off in an interesting way. The label on the flatware is “gs.”
My new keyboard is a Truly Egronomic Keyboard. I saw the layout and just had to buy 2: one for home, and one for work. This has mechanical switches, not rubber domes like my old Microsoft Curve 2000 had.